Hans Heysen Trail
15 – 23 October 2018 (9 days)
The rugged Flinders Ranges is a landscape more than 600 million years old. It has some of the most dramatic and beautiful landscapes in Australia. We explore the weathered and rocky gorges, spectacular mountain ranges, granite peaks, deep gorges and waterholes. The red earth contrasts markedly with the arid countryside in other areas. There are also the immense white trunked gum trees with twisted and gnarled branches which form fascinating shapes.
Follow in the footsteps of German-born and widely acclaimed Australian artist Hans Heysen (1877-1968). He became famous for his landscape paintings of towering gum trees in the Australian Bush. His unique depictions of the arid but supremely magnificent Flinders Ranges were groundbreaking. The Wynne Prize for Australian landscape painting was awarded to him nine times. We will also be visiting Handorf and his painting studio.
Sketch and paint with watercolour to record your incredible memories of these ranges and unique art tour in sketchbooks.
- Flights from Perth, Adelaide, Sydney and other departure cities on request.
- Daily individual tutoring and sketching reviews
- Most meals
- Air conditioned transport
- Optional scenic flight (at own expense) over Wilpena Pound and the Flinders Ranges
- Visit Burra, Clare, Quorn, Wilpena Pound and Blinman
- and much, much more…..